The Holy Order Of The Asian Pussy Pounders
2008 Macworld Prediction Results
by Tironius, created Tuesday, January 15, 2008, with permalink

I was right for the wrong reasons

So yesterday I made some predictions about what’s “in the air,” my thinking that this tagline referred to an ecosystem of WiFi for Apple TV and iPhone. I was wrong, mostly, but did get one thing right.

Yesterday, I said…

I hereby predict that Apple’s new iPhone will at least speak to, if not be able to completely control, Apple TV, making Apple TV one of iPhone’s storage solutions

WRONG. As it stands now, Apple TV and iPhone are estranged brothers leading separate lives. iPhone cannot use Apple TV’s hard drive as a quick repository.

In my next prediction, I said…

I predict Apple will tout a new media server solution that involves these components: Airport Extreme with the new 802.11n capabilities, connected hard drive, & Leopard; the Airport Wi-Fi base station with its connected large-capacity hard drive will provide Apple TV and any computer on the network with a central repository for all media files (not to mention back up capabilities inherent to Leopard). The speed of the new draft N makes this happen

WRONG. The three-two punch was not a solution Apple introduced, but the above prediction was using a third-party external hard drive. I furthered that with this prediction…

Moreover, Apple will announce its own branded external hard drive with the same form factor as both the Airport and Apple TV, making it the perfect companion for either. For Airport, a connected hard drive provides the perfect place for Leopard’s new built-in back up functions called “Time Machine”; for Apple TV, obviously, it will provide a boost in storage to house all those iTunes movie purchases. iPhone (and its touchscreen iPod brother) will connect to the hard drive no matter which it’s connected to.

WRONG, & RIGHT. Apple is completely missing the mark with their new storage-WiFi combo called “Time Capsule.” I was right in that they are using this for Leopards inherent backup capabilities, but at 500 gigabytes and one terabyte, this would be an excellent central source for my large media files, freeing up space I’d prefer to allow Photoshop use. Apple TV should be able to access Time Capsule’s immense storage for any movie it needs. (Maybe it can.) So, check one: Apple did brand its own hard drive, though they combined it with Airport Extreme in an all-in-one.

* 1 outta 3 *

Labels: ,